Osteoarthritis Knee: How to properly Care for your Joints to avoid Arthritis
People have yet to appreciate the number of common joint problems and their impact on their body's ability to move and function. Joint problems could cause reduced flexibility as well as loss of range of motion. The number of individuals diagnosed with arthritis as well as other bone and joint conditions rises day by day.
- Minutes of exercise at a time -- three or four days a week -- may be advised.
- Some suggestions: Water Workouts, Biking, walking, just low-impact workout's that won't put pressure on your joints.
Osteoarthritis is Known by Many as "Wear and Tear" Arthritis
It is one of the most common forms of Arthritis and is the result of cartilage wearing away from the joints. This cartilage is responsible for the smooth gliding of joints, and once it begins to deteriorate, the patient is left with pain, combined swelling and inflammation, and also disability.
Joint Pain- this tends to be worse when rising within the morning Joint Swelling and Inflammation- this occurs during periods of activity ' Feeling a "Grinding" Sensation when a Joint is moved Loss of Mobility and Flexibility
The Cause of Osteoarthritis is Not Known, Yet Doctors Have Many Suspicions
Some of the symptoms of Osteoarthritis boggle the minds of scientists and more research needs to take place to determine the actual cause of the disease. As an example, X-rays can tell that Joint disease is present, but the amount of pain reported simply by Osteoarthritis sufferers differs from the results of the X-ray. Though many people refer to Osteoarthritis as the wear and tear" illness, evidence shows that this disease and its mysterious cause are not as simple as that definition.
Fact, "wear and tear" does not take place in just one joint, but affects joints concurrently throughout the body. An example of this, is the fact that sufferers with Osteoarthritis of the knee, offer suffer Osteoarthritis in the hands. Also, doctors possess noted that sufferers don't suffer with Osteoarthritis about just one side of the body (as would be expected due to use and tear) but because it seems to affect the body concurrently, it appears that Osteoarthritis is a systematic disease affecting all of the cartilage material at a time.
3 Simple Exercises for Osteoarthritis of the Knee
3 simple, easy to follow exercises that will improve muscular strength around the knee to relieve pain, increase mobility, and lessen the risk of falls.
As long as the level of uric acid continues to be lower than the normal any symptoms of gout are a remote possibility. Provided of course that medication is continued. Some drugs work by increasing elimination of uric acid through the kidney while others merely hinder the organization of uric acid in the first place.
Some of the complications of long time and severe cases of gout are build up of uric acid salts which will appear around the affected joint and also in tissues in the earlobes. These uric acid salts are chalk colored nodules, and are otherwise known as tophi. The presence of uric acid salts is actually an indication further treatment is needed.
- How long have you been having this pain?
- Perhaps you have had it before?
- Did this pain begin suddenly and severely, or perhaps gradually and mildly?
Our center focuses primarily on Knee, Hip, and also Shoulder Surgery. We treat local, national, as well as international patients together with all types of joint disorders at the Madras Joint Replacement Center by Dr.A.K.Venkatachalam.
Some Other Ideas that Point to the Cause of Osteoarthritis Include:
Previous Sports related or Joint Injuries ' Genetically Inherited (it appears which Osteoarthritis runs in families) ' Repeated Situations of Bleeding into a Joint (as occurs with Hemophilia and other diseases) ' Repetitive Occurrences of Gout and also Gout like Diseases ' Avascular Necrosis- this is a condition where blood in close proximity to a bone is actually cut off, this leads to bone death as well as joint damage. Avascular Necrosis typically afflicts the hip joint. ' Previous Rheumatoid Related Illness- such as Rheumatoid Arthritis can lead to chronic inflammation of the joints. ' Osteoporosis-due to the high risk of bone fractures and injury, Osteoarthritis may develop in joints. ' Metabolic Disorders- for example, Hemochromatosis can lead to higher levels of Iron being transferred within the joints ' Joint Infection-It is believed that cartilage may deteriorate in people who have flaws in their cartilage and joints.
- When you have fever not associated with the flu.
- When you have lost 10 pounds or more without trying.
- When your joint pain lasts for more than 3 nights.
- Lose weight: If you are overweight lose the extra weight.
- Studies show losing as little as 11 pounds can cut the risk of osteoarthritis of the knee by Fifty percent.
What can be Done to Mitigate the Bone and Joint Disease?
We can look at this from a large and mini perspective. While osteoarthritis is the bane of middle and overdue age, traffic accidents, trauma and fractures can be prevented by action at the right political stage. Protective measures such as wearing seat belts inside autos, or protective gear for sports and actions may help prevent such injuries.
- What other symptoms do you have?
- Is there any numbness?
- Can you bend and straighten the joint?
- Does the joint feel stiff?
- Are your joints stiff in the morning?
- If so, how long will the particular stiffness last?
- The pain constant or does it come and go?
- Offers this become more severe?
- What started your own pain?
Osteoarthritis: Cause and Symptoms
In our final article, we briefly reviewed Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. This article will take a close look at the cause, symptoms, as well as current therapy used for Osteoarthritis. So let us take a second look at what Osteoarthritis is.
Crash Diets Should Also be Avoided
Some drugs for high blood pressure may need to be altered or adjusted An important aspect of treating gout is lowering the uric acid levels. There are some drugs that may lower the uric acid level in the body. However, it should be noted that these drugs only temporarily treat symptoms of gout and should not be taken on the long-term basis. The dosage is based on the level of uric acid found in the body. Regular check ups are required in order to go to the maintenance dosage that prevents recurrent gout episodes.
- Joint pain can be caused by many types of injuries or conditions.
- No matter what the cause is, joint pain can be very troublesome.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes stiffness and pain in the joints.
Here are foods high in purines and to be avoided: Organ meat products such as liver, kidneys, tripe, sweetbreads and tongue, Excessive numbers of red meat, shellfish, fish roe and scallops,
Joint Injury and Bone Conditions Aren't Limited to Senior Citizens
Today, many young people suffer leg injuries in sports or via accident or trauma. Teens and young adults engaging in high-impact sports and activities such as soccer, football and skateboarding often shrug off their injuries and take these lightly. Unfortunately, these injuries are likely to lead to further problems with function and mobility in the short-term, and as they age.
- When you have severe, unexplained joint pain, especially if you have other unexplained symptoms.
- Your health care provider will perform a physical exam and ask you about your medical history.
Maintain an Ideal Body Weight ' Take Steps to Prevent the Development of Osteoporosis
Some of these include getting enough Vitamin D and Calcium, exercising, and taking medicine if needed. ' Do your best to prevent hurting your bones and joints -try in order to avoid accidents such as sports related, implementing joint safety by using splints and braces.
- What makes the tightness better?
- Tests that could be done include: CBC or blood differential
- The following questions may help determine the cause of your joint pain: Which joint hurts?
- Will be the pain on one side or both sides?
High alcohol and caffeine intake High intake of food containing purines Some drugs utilized to treat high blood pressure and long standing renal system diseases
- The major cause of gout is the accumulation of uric acid in the joints.
- The uric acid is a chemical that is a natural part of the normal breakdown and build up of food in body tissues.
- The level of uric acid may be found and measured in the blood.
- We've discussed the potential causes of Osteoarthritis, now it is time to look at the various symptoms of Osteoarthritis.
- The symptoms of Osteoarthritis include:
The cause of your symptom is indeed a genuine one, then early treatment can be obtained. Imbalance of the knee, ligament damage, cartilage cry, and also obesity are treatable. A great osteotomy can correct misalignment. Arthroscopic surgery can provide a few amelioration of symptoms in early cases of joint wear. Finally, when cartilage destruction is advanced, a partial or total knee replacement may be needed.
- Joint pain may also be caused by bursitis.
- A List of Possible Causes: Autoimmune illnesses such as rheumatoid osteoarthritis and lupus
The higher than normal uric acid levels may be inherited in certain families Obesity was also observed to cause gout attacks
About the Author:Written by JohnRobben of Ultimate Water Massage, Inc.
Providing MassageServices and Pain relief products. Visit the Arthritis InformationCenter.
Likewise, it is important for patients using medications in order to realize that during the first few months of treatment, it is still possible to have gout attacks, however severe gouty attacks are lessened.
- Peas, lentils and beans, Alcohol and caffeine intakes should be reduced.
- A glass of beer a day or much less is recommended
The Benefits of Early Diagnosis
The earlier the diagnosis is made, the better are the chances to keep diseases such as arthritis or osteoporosis in check, in addition to supplying the ability to advise on mitigating its effect," says Dr. A.K. Venkatachalam through Madras Joint Replacement Center in Chennai, Of india. "Such disorders can't be entirely cured, but medicines and surgery can offer lasting pain relief and improve quality of life."
Physical therapy for muscle and joint rehabilitation may be recommended.
Procedure called arthrocentesis may be needed to remove fluid from the sore joint.
- Does moving the joint reduce the pain or make it worse?
- Are certain positions comfortable?
- Does keeping the joint elevated help?
- Do drugs, massage, or applying heat reduce the pain?
- High-impact exercises like jogging/running should generally be avoided.
- Wear good, soft, cushiony shoes.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Smoking affects bone health as well as your response to treatment.
- The condition where there is a rise in blood's uric acid level is called hyperuricaemia.
- With the presence of such condition it is no wonder that uric acid crystals are formed in the joints.
- These crystals are responsible for the inflammation known as gouty arthritis or acute gout.
- One suggestion is that Osteoarthritis is a result of cartilage that has stopped functioning at optimum level.
- Cartilage is continuously undergoing a process wherever it is broken down, then rebuilt.
- Some theories declare that this process gets unbalanced and also out of hand.
- This kind of is referred to as "End Stage Osteoarthritis." It is at this time that joint pain and impairment begin to manifest.
- There are many natural remedies that show promise in the management of Osteoarthritis soreness and symptoms.
- Search for future articles in our Arthritis Series that offer natural remedies that may prevent nutrients from damaging cartilage.
Healthy Eating and Drinking Habits
Cut down on fast foods which offer little nutrition. Fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals, and milk protect your muscles and joints. A diet rich in vitamins C, D & E promote joint health. Most forms of these ingredients are available in fruits, dairy products and vegetables. There are no dietary restrictions for most form of arthritis except for Gout, where red meat is restricted. Diet doesn't lead to stress of joint signs and symptoms as many people complain.
- Summary, joint problems are rife among the population and ought to have your own immediate attention.
- Discussion along with your physiotherapist, physician or orthopedic surgeon is actually preferable to self medication and also treatment.
- Joint problems affect more than 400 million people worldwide, and complaints of back pain are the most common cause of workplace absenteeism.
- Osteoarthritis in knee and hip joints will be the most common combined difficulty affecting older persons.
- With this in mind, it's timely and helpful to draw attention to the need for every person to care for their joints.
Influenza Lyme disease Measles (rubeola) Mumps Parvovirus Rheumatic fever Rubella (German measles) Varicella (chickenpox) Injury, including fracture
Bursitis Chondromalacia patellae Gout (especially found in the big toe) Infectious diseases, including Epstein-Barr viral syndrome Hepatitis
- Have you injured your joint?
- Have you had an illness or fever?
- Does resting the joint reduce the pain or make it worse?
Osteoarthritis Osteomyelitis Septic arthritis Tendinitis Unusual exertion or overuse, including strains or sprains When should i contact my doctor?
- Joint pain Joint pain can affect one or more joints.
- While there is no cure for joint pain, you can get relief.
- The remedies range from changes in your lifestyle, medicines, medical equipment and/or surgery.
Exercise: Get a physical therapist to develop a good exercise program that's right for you. Will not get caught in this vicious cycle: Your joint pain prevents you from working out, next causes the joints in order to weaken further and your condition to be able to aggravate.
Protect Your Joints
Exercise helps to relieve pain, improve circulation, tone up muscles and keep you fit, as well as improving an overall sense of well being. Your doctor can show you different types of exercise useful for your particular problem. Power running, hiking, swimming and cycling are exercises which don't place intense weight load on your knees and are easy to do. If you have any ligament problems, your doctor can advise on specific exercises. Exercises don't intensify knee pain, as many people fear.
- The first step in treating gout is to correct the factors that increase the levels of uric acid in the body.
- Sufferers must also work in order to keep from consuming purine rich foods since these substances are found in order to contain a lot of uric acid.
Osteoarthritis patients usually state that their pain is greatest during times of movement, and then reduces significantly during periods of relaxation. Osteoarthritis affects many more women than men. There is an estimated 24 million Osteoarthritis sufferers in the United States and roughly 74% are women.
- Osteoarthritis involves growth of bone spurs and degeneration of cartilage at a joint.
- It is quite common in those over 45 years old as well as can cause joint pain.
- Gout usually attacks people in whose uric acid level has always been above normal.
- There are various reasons why uric acids level increases in the body:
Individuals can Postpone Joint Problems Through:
Regular exercise Putting your joints through a full range of movement each day - this is all that's needed for general joint health Avoid weight gain Learn in order to differentiate between the pain of overuse and disease. Any joint pain lasting regarding several hour after exercises are not overuse soreness, but may signify a personal injury or medical condition Use the largest shared suitable for any muscle effort.
There is No Sure Way to Prevent Arthritis in Any of Its Forms
There are however the main things that can be done to help lower your risk of developing Osteoarthritis or even any other type of Arthritis. A number of the preventative methods that you may add to your way of life today include:
Visit the Nail Care Tips website to learn about cutting dogs nails and yellowcolored toe nails