Bored of Cherries? Try Berries for your Gout Treatment!
When searching for a natural remedy for your gout, cherries and cherry juice are often the first food that pops up. But we are now finding that it's not just cherries. Other berries are also helpful for lowering uric acid levels. Strawberries, blueberries, and other red-blue berries tend to be high in antioxidants, decreased purine, and have low acidity, making them perfect snacks for gout sufferers.
Gout is caused by high levels of uric acid, which in turn crystallizes in the joints, especially in the toes, feet and knees. Large amounts of those sharp crystals cause painful gout flares. The goal of many natural remedies and also prescription medications is to either reduce uric acid levels (prevention) or pain and inflammation relief from present gout flares, or both.
- Eating berries will not likely stop a gout size, but eating all of them regularly helps to lower uric acid levels, staving off the painful attacks.
- Some of the best berries to keep the uric acid levels low are:
Strawberries- Flavonoids are an additional inhibitor of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX), the same chemical that is inhibited from the flavonoids in cherries and by NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. Flavonoids are helpful in the reduction of swelling. Strawberries are high in flavonoids such as pelargonidin and contain small amounts of the cyanidin, delphinidin and petunidin. Pelargonidin is the substance which makes strawberries red.
- Blueberries- These little berries are quite high in anthocyanidin, an important flavonoid.
- As with most other berry, they are also extremely high in antioxidants.
- Eat plenty of these to be able to keep your uric acid levels as low as possible.
- Elderberries- Elderberries are great for gout as they're also low in purine, but high in cyanidin.
- However, the red elderberries shouldn't be ingested at all, and white elderberries shouldn't be eaten raw.
- If you want to get the benefits of elderberries, choose elderberry juice or elderberry extracts.
Check out a tasty antioxidant-rich, low purine dessert option here at Health.com
How to Cure Gout Naturally - Simple Gout Treatment at Home - Home Remedies for Gout
http://homeyog.com This video shows how to cure gout naturally at home. The gout treatment mentioned in the video is a very old one and has been used for ...
Eating a low purine diet hasn't helped to reduce your gout flares, talk to your doctor about colchicine, a prescription drug proven to reduce the severity and numeracy of gout attacks. With the recent price jump in the U.s.a. market, consider Big Mountain Drugs, a Canadian online pharmacy offering both brand name Colcrys and its generic alternative, colchicine.
Domenic is a head content marketing specialist at musclenstress.com, a collection of articles on health issues. In the past, Domenic worked as a post curator for a well-known health site. When he's not writing posts, Domenic enjoys drawing and rock climbing.